Change Your Locks

Alternate Name: Keep Safe Housing

Organization: DASH (District Alliance for Safe Housing)

If you have a protection order you are legally entitled to change your locks even if your abuser is on the lease. Use our sample letter (on our website) to request a lock change from your landlord.
If your abuser is not on the lease you have the legal right to request a lock change from your landlord at any time. Your landlord or property manager is responsible for changing the locks within 5 business days of the request. Use this sample letter (on our website) to request lock changes, and this letter if your landlord has taken more than 5 business days to change the locks.
Related Programs:
Service Category: Legal
Application: Visit our website for sample letters. You can also visit our walk-in clinic for help. If you are in an emergency, contact National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE) or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY).
Wednesday : 1:30PM - 3:30PM

Westminster Presbyterian Church
400 I St SW Washington DC 20024

(202) 462-3274

Wednesday : 1:30PM - 3:30PM